Hurray! I’m two-thirds of the way through the Psalms. If I continue at this rate, I will be all the way through the book of Psalms by this time next year! Reason to rejoice! As we continue through this beautiful, Michigan summer, there are many other reasons to make a joyful noise.
Psalm 100 is a simple hymn of praise, packed full of reasons for rejoicing. Packed into these five verses is a creed (statement of belief) that can be easily memorized; a creed worth living by, made up of six basic statements.
- The Lord is God – “Know that the Lord is God!” (3a)
- He is our Creator – “It is he that made us and we are his.” (3b)
- We are his people – “We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.” (3c)
- The Lord is good – “For the Lord is good.” (5a)
- His kindness is everlasting – “His steadfast love endures for ever.” (5b)
- His faithfulness endures to all generations – “And his faithfulness to all generations.” (5c)
In fact these six creed statements are found in two verses of the psalm, 3 and 5. All good reason to make a joyful noise to the Lord and “Serve the Lord with gladness!” (2a) The other verses call us to praise our God because of his love and goodness.
The people are called into the Temple to worship their God: “Come into his presence with singing!” (2b) “Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him, bless his name.” (4).
If we truly believe the six statements above, then how can we help but be joyful? Our churches would be filled with the joy of the Lord and people would be drawn to them because of the joy present. However we know this is not the case. We have yet to live up to these words.
We have a God who loves us, whose love endures forever to all generations. All reasons to rejoice!
What reason do you have to rejoice today? Take some time to count your blessings!
For more beautiful summer pictures by Erin Bartels go to http://erinbartels.com/2015/08/17/late-summer-love-2/